Beef and vegetable casserole
This hearty beef dish is full of vegetables, making it a healthy and tasty family meal.
- 50g bacon
- 700g beef, cubed
- 120ml flour
- 5ml salt
- 1ml black pepper
- 250ml red wine or beef stock
- 350ml water
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 medium potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 250ml frozen green beans
- Cook bacon until crisp and then crumble it. Reserve pan drippings.
- Cover beef cubes with flour, salt and pepper.
- Brown beef cubes on all sides in bacon drippings.
- Put beef cubes in an oven pan.
- Pour wine or beef stock, water and garlic over beef.
- Cover pan with foil and bake at 180°C for one hour.
- Stir the crumbled bacon, potatoes, onion, garlic, carrots and green beans into the meat mixture.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour or until vegetables are done.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with steamed rice
Image courtesy of Food Thinkers/Flickr
Back to Recipes